With macOS Ventura and iOS 16, you can use the Continuity Camera webcam to turn your iPhone into a wireless camera for video calls on Mac. However, this involves several requirements and therefore may not work for some users. In this article, we will look at practical ways to fix Continuity Camera not working on macOS Ventura and iPhone.
Continuity Camera not working on macOS Ventura and iOS 16
With Continuity Camera, you can switch to your iPhone’s main camera when video calling on Mac via FaceTime, Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, or other video calling platforms. It requires your Mac and iPhone to be running macOS 13 Ventura and iOS 16 respectively.
If Camera Continuity isn’t working on your Mac, make sure you meet its requirements and have enabled the necessary options for it to work. Follow the troubleshooting methods to check the solutions in detail.
Make sure your iPhone supports Continuity Camera
To begin with, Camera Continuity requires macOS 13 and iOS 16. And hence, it is only supported on iPhone 8 and newer models. If you have an iPhone 7, iPhone 6, or iPhone SE 1st generation, you will need to update your iPhone to use the feature.
Here is the list of iPhones that support Camera Continuity:
- iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR, iPhone 8
Activate Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
For Camera Continuity to work, make sure your iPhone and Mac are nearby, and Bluetooth and Wifi are turned on on both devices, as shown below.
1. Press the Control center icon in the top right menu.
2. Click on Wireless and enable the toggle.
3. Go back, press Bluetoothand again enable the toggle.
1. Swipe down from the top right corner to open Control center (or bottom on iPhones with Touch ID).
2. Press the Wireless icon to activate it.
3. Similarly, press the Bluetooth icon to activate it.
Enable Camera Continuity on iPhone
The Continuity Camera webcam is enabled by default on iOS 16. Disabling it will break functionality and your iPhone will no longer function as a webcam for the Mac. Make sure it’s on or try turning it off and back on to see if that fixes the problem. Here’s how:
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Head toward General.
3. Here, click Airplay & Delivery.
4. On the next screen, enable the toggle for Continuity Camera webcam.
Center Stage, Studio Light or Desk View not working?
Continuity Camera lets you use video effects like Center Stage, Studio Light, and Desk View during video calls on Mac. You can use Control center > Video effects to turn the effects on or off. However, this may not work with some iPhones, based on the following requirements:
- Center stage: Uses machine learning and the ultra-wide lens on iPhone to pan the camera and automatically keep you in frame. It works with iPhone 11 or newer.
- Workshop light: When activated, it brightens your face and darkens the background. It works with iPhone 12 or newer.
- Office view: It uses your iPhone’s ultra-wide camera to show your face and an overhead view of the desktop simultaneously. It requires iPhone 11 or newer.
iPhone microphone not working with Continuity Camera?
With Continuity Camera, you can use both the camera and microphone on your iPhone for FaceTime calls or video conferencing on apps and the web. However, to use the iPhone’s mic, manually select it in the audio settings of the video app.
Here’s how to use iPhone Mic in FaceTime calls using Continuity:
1. Click it Video option in the top menu bar.
2. Select iPhone Camera under Camera if it’s not already there.
3. Then go to Microphone for iPhone under Microphone.
Besides the visuals, your Mac should now start using audio from your iPhone’s microphone.
To note: Your iPhone screen must be locked when using the Continuity Camera webcam. Unlocking the iPhone will disconnect the camera.
These were troubleshooting methods to fix Continuity Camera webcam not working on macOS Ventura and iOS 16. Hope the above guide helps you to use your iPhone as a webcam for calls on Mac no problem. Do not hesitate to contact us in case of any further doubts or questions.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, reviews of smartphones and gadgets, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos, subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.