Blackmagic Design has announced the imminent release of DaVinci Resolve for iPad. This new version of the popular desktop video editor has been optimized to allow creators to edit videos professionally on the lightweight iPad Pro.
The iPad-optimized version makes full use of the tablet’s MultiTouch technology and Apple Pencil which all allow editors to intuitively edit video in ways not previously possible. The new version of the system offers a new way of working but still provides access to DaVinci’s proven imaging technology, color finishing tools and updated HDR workflows.
Additionally, the iPad version of the video editor makes full use of Blackmagic Cloud which will allow users to easily collaborate on projects.
To ensure maximum speed, the new software version has been optimized for use with Apple silicon, with accelerated results possible with the new iPad Pro with M2 chipset. One feature that many professional editors will be happy to see is the ability to send a clean stream to a grading monitor, whether it’s an Apple Studio Display, Pro Display XDR, or AirPlay-enabled display.
The iPad version of DaVinci Resolve for iPad uses standard DaVinci Resolve project files which are fully compatible with the desktop version of DaVinci Resolve 18. Currently supported file formats include H.264, H.265, Apple ProRes and Blackmagic RAW and can be stored on iPad Pro, Cloud or USB-C media.
“DaVinci Resolve for iPad is a game-changer for post-production,” said Grant Petty, CEO of Blackmagic Design. “Clients will literally have the power of Hollywood post-production tools for color editing and correction in their hands, creating a whole new generation of editors and creative colorists. Compatibility with DaVinci Resolve 18 and Blackmagic Cloud means customers can collaborate on the same timeline with other editors or colorists as well as sound engineers and VFX artists from literally anywhere in the world. I think it will be exciting to try out the new version of the iPad, and I can’t wait to see how our customers use it; their creativity will be breathtaking.
Key Feature of DaVinci Resolve for iPad
• Page cut for editing and color pages are optimized for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro display.
• Improved rendering performance up to 4x Ultra HD ProRes with the M2 chip.
• Supports Apple Neural Engine functionality in DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad.
• Compatible with DaVinci Resolve 18 project files.
• Supports multi-user collaboration via Blackmagic Cloud.
• Supports H.264, H.265, ProRes and Blackmagic RAW media files.
• Supports clips from iPad storage, Photos library and iCloud.
• Import clips from external USB-C drives.
• Works with Apple Pencil, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio.
• External monitoring via Apple Studio Display, Pro Display XDR or AirPlay display.
• Supports HDR display on iPad Pro 12.9 inch with M1 chip.
• Compatible with iPadOS 16 or newer.
Availability and prices
DaVinci Resolve for iPad will be available in late 2022 as a free download from the Apple App Store. Customers can upgrade to DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad using an in-app purchase.