Blackmagic Design Studio 4K Pro Camera
The Pro model includes some cool upgrades and additional features like carbon fiber reinforced polycarbonate and a large 7-inch integrated touchscreen viewfinder with an upgraded lens hood. The camera uses an improved Micro Four Thirds sensor which BMD says performs much better in low light with 13 stops of dynamic range and native dual ISO of 0 db and 18 db of gain. Both cameras have a bigger and brighter Talley light on the top.
The shooting resolution is 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) up to 60 fps. at frame rates of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 frames per second. Frame rates out of speed up to 60 fps in Ultra HD. One Push Autofocus is available with compatible lenses.
BRAW recording options
USB-C output supports recording to external SSD; however, it only supports Blackmagic RAW.
- Blackmagic RAW 3: 1, 5: 1, 8: 1, 12: 1, Q0, Q1, Q3 and Q5 in Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 at the selected frame rate.
- Blackmagic RAW 3: 1 constant bit rate,
- Blackmagic RAW 5: 1 constant bit rate,
- Blackmagic RAW 8: 1 constant bit rate,
- Blackmagic RAW 12: 1 constant bit rate,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q0,
- Blackmagic RAW Consistent Quality Q1,
- Blackmagic RAW Consistent Quality Q3,
- Blackmagic RAW Consistent Quality Q5,
The 7 ″ display is now a touchscreen with a brightness of 2000 nits. The camera has three assignable buttons on the back and dials for brightness, contrast, and peak. The menu is accessed via the touchscreen and has the familiar, easy-to-navigate menu you probably already know.
Features of Blackmagic Studio Cameras
- Designed specifically for live production.
- Carbon fiber reinforced polycarbonate frame.
- Up to ISO 25,600 for incredible low light performance.
- Native 4K sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range.
- Compatible with a wide range of popular MFT lenses.
- Large 7 inch high brightness viewfinder.
- Includes 12G-SDI, HDMI and 10G Ethernet connections.
- Unique 10G Ethernet enables SMPTE fiber style workflow.
- The USB-C port allows recording directly to external drives.
- Includes incredible quality Blackmagic RAW recording.
- Built-in wide-separation stereo microphones.
- Professional mini XLR inputs with 48 volt phantom power.
- Includes tripod mount for quick location setup.
- Power supply via 12V or Ethernet connection.
- Optional focus and zoom for lens control.
- Blackmagic Studio Converter allows all connections via Ethernet.
- Includes tripod mount and 15mm rail mount
4K Pro IO Studio Camera
- 1 SDI input
- 1 SDI output
- SDI tariffs – 1.5G, 3G, 6G, 12G.
- 1 HDMI 2.0 video output
Analog audio input
- 2 x analog XLRs switchable between mic and line levels. Support for phantom power.
- 1 3.5mm stereo input. It can also be used for entering Timecode.
Analog audio output
- 1 x 5-pin XLR for talkback headphones. 1 x 3.5 mm TRRS mini-jack for headphones with microphone.
- Tri-Sync or Black Burst when used with optional Blackmagic Studio Converter.
SDI audio output
- 2 channels of audio program integrated into 1.5G / 3G / 6G / 12G-SDI.
- 2 talkback channels on 15 and 16
- Remote control of the camera via SDI, HDMI or Ethernet
- 10 Gb / s Ethernet
- Computer Interface – 2 x USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1 expansion ports (up to 5 Gbps) for external recording and on-demand focus / zoom connection. Software updates via USB-C port A.
Something BMD isn’t known for is the quality of their cameras’ audio inputs. They said with the new cameras from the studio line; the audio inputs have been much improved.
Blackmagic Studio Converter
With the upgraded 10 Gb / s Ethernet on the cameras, BMD introduced a new way to power, power and control the camera with the Blackmagic Studio Converter. You can achieve the same workflow as SMPTE fiber but using low cost 10G copper Ethernet cables. This converter will power the camera through the Ethernet cable and convert the camera and schedule the return streams to SDI.
The Blackmagic Studio Converter is not yet officially released and should be in a few months.
Pricing and availability
Blackmagic 4K Pro Studio Camera will sell for $ 1795, and the Blackmagic 4K P Studio CameraIwe will sell for $ 1,295. Both are available today.
Lens control on zoom demand and focus demand
with all studio setups, lens control is a must. These new USB-based controls will make using the camera with fixed lenses much better. This will require compatibility with the lenses, and a list of them has not yet been released. Zoom and Focus Demand will cost $ 245.
This is a nice update to the Studio line. They are very economical for live or studio use in a Multicam setup. When integrated with an ATEM Mini, you have plenty of controls for live streaming. All at a very competitive price. While these new cameras might not be designed for outdoor use, it would have been nice to see them with internal ND filters.