CD Projekt buys independent studio to create game based on one of its properties

0

Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher creator CD Projekt have acquired independent studio The Molasses Flood, which will now be working on a new game based on one of CD Projekt’s IP addresses.

Announced to investors today, CD Projekt announced that it had initially purchased 60% of the Boston studio, and arranged transactions to take over the remaining 40% over time. The Molasses Flood will collaborate with CD Projekt’s development unit, CD Projekt Red, but will retain “full autonomy”.

The new logo of The Melasses Flood. (Source: CD Project)

The announcement mentioned that The Molasses Flood “will be working on its own project based on one of CD Projekt’s IPs”. It’s probably a game that takes place in the Witcher or Cyberpunk universes.

CD Projekt has previously stated that it will develop both the AAA Witcher and Cyberpunk games simultaneously, starting in 2022. It is not known which property Molasses Flood will work with, nor if this is an additional project on top of these developments. planned – CD Projekt says it will advertise more in the future.

Molasses Flood subsequently confirmed the news on Twitter, saying: “We can create a completely new game in the universe of an existing IP CD Projekt, we can hire a lot more people, and we can continue to create games based on the same principles that have always guided us : creating games with heart built on rich gaming systems. “

The studio’s announcement also confirmed that it will keep its name, but add “a Projekt Studio CD” in most communications.

In a separate press release, Adam Kiciński, CEO of CD Projekt, said: “We are always on the lookout for teams that create games with heart. The Molasses Flood share our passion for video game development, they are experienced and quality driven. , and have great technological knowledge. I am convinced that they will bring a lot of talent and determination to the Group.

The Molasses Flood has already created The Flame in the Flood and Drake’s Hollow, both of which focus on elements of survival, albeit with very different approaches. Members of the Molasses Flood team had already created BioShock, Halo 2, and Rock Band before creating the independent developer.

Before moving on to new games, CD Projekt is still working on next-gen upgrades for Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – both of which were recently postponed to 2022. Major expansions are expected to follow for Cyberpunk later. . Dated.

Joe Skrebels is the editor of IGN News. Follow him on Twitter. Any advice to give us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].



Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply