Kevin Spacey must pay ‘House of Cards’ studio $ 31 million for losses caused by his dismissal

0

Actor Kevin Spacey has to pay MRC, the production company behind the Netflix series Card castle, $ 31 million for the losses suffered after his dismissal, decided Monday an arbitration panel.

The Associated Press reported that the decision came after three years of legal battles, an eight-day hearing kept from the public and an appeal to a panel of arbitrators, which ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, making the decision final.

The referees concluded that Spacey violated his contract’s professional conduct requirement by “engaging in certain conduct in relation to multiple crew members during each of the five seasons in which he played and produced House of Cards. “.

In the midst of the #MeToo 2017 movement, actor Anthony Rapp said Spacey gave him a sexual breakthrough when he was 14. Since then, several other accusers have followed and an investigation has revealed that Spacey sexually harassed some people who worked under him.

Because Spacey played the central character in the series, the showrunners had to stop production and rewrite the sixth season. Due to the delays, they had to shorten the season to five episodes, resulting in tens of millions of dollars in losses.

For more Associated Press reporting, see below.

Actor Kevin Spacey and his production companies have to pay the studio behind “House of Cards” more than $ 30 million over losses due to his dismissal for sexual misconduct, according to an arbitration ruling issued on November 22, 2021. Above, Spacey arrives at district court on January 7, 2019 in Nantucket, Massachusetts, to be arraigned on charges of indecent assault and assault and battery.
Steven Senne, File / AP Photo

“The safety of our employees, our sets and our working environments is of paramount importance to the MRC and that is why we have decided to push for accountability,” the MRC said in a statement Monday.

A Spacey representative did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. His lawyers argued that the actor’s actions were not a substantial factor in the show’s losses.

The 62-year-old Oscar-winning actor’s career came to an abrupt end at the end of 2017 as the #MeToo movement gained momentum.

Rapp, who appeared in To rent on Broadway and in the movies as well as in Star Trek: Discovery on television, said Spacey made a sexual advance on him when he was 14 at a party in the 1980s.

At the time, Spacey released a statement saying he didn’t remember the meeting but apologized.

Several other accusers followed. Some, including Rapp, have filed a complaint.

Spacey has been fired or removed from several projects, including Card castle, Netflix’s political thriller where for five seasons he played the lead character Frank Underwood, a power-hungry congressman who becomes president.

The only criminal case against him, a charge of indecent assault and battery resulting from the alleged groping of an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket resort, was dismissed by Massachusetts prosecutors in 2019.

House of Cards, Netflix, MRC
MRC had to completely change the sixth season of “House of Cards” after Kevin Spacey was fired amid allegations of sexual misconduct, which cost the studio millions of dollars. Above, Stacey Wilson Hunt, Robin Wright, Michael Kelly, Frank Pugliese and Melissa Gibson speak at the Netflix “House of Cards” FYSEE Event at Raleigh Studios on June 4, 2019 in Los Angeles, California.
Photo by Emma McIntyre / Getty Images for Netflix


Source link

Share.

Comments are closed.