SStudio B ngos is an exclusive digital series from News 8 WROC dedicated to both showcasing Rochester’s incredible musical talent and showcasing artists who come through our town for shows.
All music is recorded live, video captured live; all refined for a product that combines the electricity of a live performance and the refinement of a studio session.
For each episode, the artists are responsible for presenting two “A-sides” and two “B-sides”. A-sides are songs you know by the artist: whether it’s their signature song, their most promoted song, or the one with the most airtime. B-sides are tunes near and dear to the artist’s heart, but don’t always get the audience love they deserve. In this format, listeners can listen to favorites and learn deep cuts.
This episode features an all-new suite of classical music, composed by beloved local educator, bassist, and composer, Dave Kluge. “Windmills” is a new four-movement work for string quartet — perfectly suited to our format — inspired by Impressionist music, Ravel and the Goat Rodeo Sessions.
- Dave Kluge – composer, bandleader
- Geoffrey Jones – violin 1
- Haley Moore – violin 2
- Nicole Walton – viola
- Katrya Cichanowicz – cello
- Side A: Airglow (00:00)
- Side B: Labyrinth (10:08)
- Side A: Mirage (15:45)
- B-side: First Light (20:51)
air·glow | uh-,glo
weak light emission by a planetary atmosphere causing the night sky to never be completely dark, even after the effects of starlight and diffuse sunlight on the other side are removed
lab·y·rinthe | la-b-rin
half rage | m-räzh
1. an optical effect sometimes observed at sea or in the desert, which can have the appearance of a pool of water which is caused by the bending or reflection of light rays by a layer of heated air of varying density
2. something illusory and inaccessible
first light | fərst bed
1. the first appearance of light in the sky before sunrise
2. the time before sunrise when the sky begins to clear
This series is produced, recorded and mixed by Dan Gross. He shot and edited this one. Production assistants Claire Janezic participated.