LOS ANGELES (CNS) – A British film studio has dropped its lawsuit against a director who allegedly reneged on his promise to shoot the fourth installment in “The Expendables” film franchise.
The lawyers for Expendables Productions Ltd. filed court documents Dec. 29 with Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael L. Stern asking that the case against Simon Crane and his loan company, Rapscallion Films Ltd., be dismissed.
Court documents did not indicate whether a settlement had been reached or whether the company was not pursuing the case for other reasons. The lawsuit was filed on October 18, alleging breach of contract, breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair use, and fraud. The studio sought over $1 million in compensatory damages, punitive damages, and a court declaration that Crane was not entitled to any compensation from the studio.
‘This action is the result of Crane’s refusal to honor its contractual obligations under its agreement to make the fourth installment of the massively successful motion picture franchise ‘The Expendables’…and its subsequent abandonment of the image during pre-production,” the suit said.
The first three ‘The Expendables’ films were released in 2010, 2012 and 2014 and the next installment was the subject of a recently dropped lawsuit. The entire cast of each film includes Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jason Statham.
Expendables Productions had reservations about hiring Crane given that he was best known for his work as a second unit director and, to the plaintiff’s knowledge, had never previously directed a major motion picture, but the studio decided to take a chance. , said the suit.
‘As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished,’ the suit said. Simon refused to hold meetings, failed to communicate with his department heads or hire key crew members in a timely manner, the suit said.
“Put simply, Crane did almost nothing to prepare the image,” the lawsuit alleged.